Portuguese Chourico and Peppers
Contributed by: Joe Alves, s/v
Serves 8 and can be doubled.
- 2 lbs Chourico Sausage, sliced and cut in small pieces
- 2 Sweet onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup Red wine (optional)
- 2Tbs Crushed garlic
- 2 Green Bell Peppers, peeled and chopped
- 1 Six oz can of Tomato Paste
- 1 cup of water
Method of preparation:
- In a slow cooker, combine sausage, green peppers, onions, tomato
paste, wine, water and crushed garlic.
- Stir until ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Cover and set on low. Cook for 8 hours.
- Uncover the pot and cook an additional 2 hours to allow some
of the liquid to evaporate. 5. Serve with Portuguese Rolls or over
Note from Joe for pressure cooking: I tried cooking the "Chourico
with Peppers and Onions" in my 6 quart pressure cooker yesterday and
it came out pretty good except that it could have used more liquid in
it. I cooked it for 1 hour, but I think that an extra half cup
of water and one half cup red wine is really needed so that it will
come out as juicy as when cooked in a slow cooker.
Wikipedia: Portuguese chouriço is made with pork, fat, wine,
paprika and salt. It is then stuffed into natural or artificial
casings and slowly dried over smoke. There are many different varieties,
changing in color, shape, seasoning and taste.